There will always be rough days. That unfortunately is just the way life goes. There will always be people trying to knock the crown off your head and make you feel bad about yourself. There will always be social media images to tell you you’re not good enough. People will come and go. Jobs will come and go. Good stuff or bad stuff, you have to find a way to soothe yourself, pick yourself up and move on in tact. Don’t let negative people or down days ruin all that confidence you’re building up. Remember a bad moment is just a speck of time. All things pass. Loving, unconditional support can help but sometimes we need to do the repair work ourselves so check out the list below of ways you can make yourself feel better in the eye of a storm.
Self-soothing ideas, using all your senses, to reduce the intensity of negative emotions:
- Turn the lights down low.
- Surround yourself with soothing colours.
- Use a sleeping mask to block out the light for a proper rest.
- Do some colouring.
- Create some Pinterest collages of things that bring you joy.
- Have soft things around you; a cozy blanket, fuzzy slippers or a favourite stuffed animal.
- Cuddle things; your pillow, a childhood teddy bear or a fur baby.
- Get a soothing and relaxing massage.
- Take a hot shower or bubble bath.
- Use a heated or weighted blanket.
- Have calming noise; sound machine, sound of a babbling brook, ocean waves or a waterfall, play soothing, quiet music.
- Watch some ASMR videos. Use YouTube as a great resource.
- Do a guided meditation, again lots of choices on YouTube.
- Diffuse some essential oils.
- Get out and get some fresh air.
- Use candles or incense.
- Fill your home with comforting smells, maybe some homemade cooking or baking.
- Infuse your cooking with strong flavours to tickle your taste buds.
- Enjoy a favourite warm drink.
- Eat your food slowly enjoying every savoury bite.
- Indulge in some childhood favourite foods.
Remember no matter what challenge you are facing, you have the strength to get through it all. You are Pretty, Plus and Proud and you are worthy, good enough and amazing!