Is your mind on overload with all the seemingly disturbing events seen on television? Every time the news is being broadcasted it feels like it’s nothing but negative stuff meant to alarm and worry us; Covid, injustice to people of colour, hurricanes, protests that are anything but peaceful, presidential debates where I believe no politician is really better than any other. The difficult thing is a lot of it is beyond our control. Sure people can vote, wear masks and try to protest peacefully but in the end, things often occur that we can’t do a whole lot about.
I’ve decided to stop fretting about that kind of stuff and try to focus on things that I am in sole control of and that will improve the quality of the life I live. I’m sharing my list so if you want to change what you focus on, you are more than welcome to join me.
THINGS TO FOCUS ON:
- my life’s purpose. I am first and foremost a wife and mother so the roles and responsibilities that go with them is my most important life’s purpose. However, I am also a friend, a sister in-law, a sister and a writer. I am going to work on enhancing all of these relationships and jobs so that I am truly the best person inside that I can be.
- my health. I am trying to move my body daily. It’s easy to while away the hours scrolling through social media. However, when I stand my body protests at the time spent sitting. This week I did two sessions of yoga, went for a walk and did a day of housework. I’m also trying to be more regular about taking vitamins and drinking something other than Diet Coke. Even body positive people have room for improvement in how we treat our bodies. No one is perfect all of the time.
- my mental wellness. I’m trying to incorporate more fun and less worry and stress. Sometimes easier said than done but if one makes time for fun and laughter, I think the stress and worry become less important.
- being grateful and counting my blessings. I need to spend more time being thankful for what I have and for the people in my life rather than wanting more or something different. What I have is pretty good and I need to remember how blessed I truly am.
- goals and how to reach them. I need goals to give me a reason to get up in the morning. Goals can be as simple as a house project to as complicated as a new job. My smaller goals tend to be getting things done around the house and I have a bigger goal of working on writing a book. Think of a dream or passion to pursue and go for it.
We can’t bury our heads in the sand and be totally oblivious to world events but we also need to pull ourselves away from all that and do things that make us happy and feel purposeful. Be Pretty, Plus and Proud and focus on you because you deserve the attention!