In a previous post I wrote about my weekend birthday stuff. In this post I want to share with you an email I received from a woman I’m subscribed to, Cara Maclean.
Check out Cara Maclean Yoga on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and her website http://www.caramaclean.com/
The email included some great suggestions on how you can make your birthday truly special. Do these things for yourself because you deserve it! Even if it’s not your birthday, below are some great ideas for self-care, things to show yourself the love. Maybe you’re feeling a little unloved or unappreciated from the people you consider close friends or family or maybe you’ve been doing too much for others and not enough for yourself. Whatever the reason; birthday, lack of attention or feeling stressed, do something good for you today!
- Buy yourself a huge bouquet of balloons and go for a walk carrying them all the way.
- Surround yourself with fresh flowers. Buy them for yourself if no one takes the hint to buy them for you.
- Have lunch with a dear friend. Get off the phone and touch real people. Hug, laugh, talk and listen.
- Indulge a favourite treat, perhaps somethings you enjoyed as a child; a root beer float, ice cream sundae or cotton candy.
- Go crazy. Do something fun and don’t worry about who’s watching. Dance, jump rope, ride a bike, twirl on a merry-go-round, draw on the sidewalk, climb a tree, sing out loud.
- Write out your dreams for the year ahead.
- Do something you’ve never done before but have been longing to do since forever.
- Pass out some compliments. Tell the woman at your bus stop you like her scarf. Tell the cute guy at work he looks good in blue. Tell your neighbour you love their garden and they have an obvious talent with flowers. Tell your Mom she’s the best Mom ever and you love her. Tell your friend you don’t know what you’d do without her. Tell your husband/wife/partner you love and appreciate him/her.
- Write a letter to your younger self giving an account of all the great things to come. This will help you clearly see all the positives in your life.
- Appreciate the life you have. Acknowledge all the highs and lows that have brought you to this special place right now.
With each passing year, I realize time is short but each day is special and should be lived with the thought that no day should be wasted on hating yourself, your body or place in life. Use your birthday as a moment to appreciate what the year you are leaving behind has taught you. Look at the year ahead as an opportunity for new adventures. If it’s not quite your birthday yet or your birthday has passed, make this the day you say no more! No more body shaming, no more comparing yourself to others, no more self harm or self hate. “Live, love and laugh” is one of my favourite quotes and should be how we conduct ourselves through each and every day. Be Pretty, Plus and Proud on your birthday and everyday!