Self-love is not an overnight journey nor is it one you take without an investment in emotion and time. However, it can be done and is worth the effort, no question. When you learn to truly love yourself then you are better able to love and care for the people counting on you or who depend on you. Not to mention your own life will be more joyous and satisfying!
So, what are you waiting for? Get started today with these suggestions:
- Find something each day to be grateful for.
- Surround yourself with positive affirmations. When you see, write and speak positivity you are building the power necessary to gaining self-love.
- Every time your mind speaks negativity tell it to stay quiet. Don’t give it any attention!
- Fill your life with positive people. There is no room for anyone who brings you down or makes you feel bad about yourself. Say bye-bye to the bad!
- Believe in yourself and your dreams. Believe they are possible and start a plan today to make those dreams come true.
- Don’t be afraid to say no to people or projects that are going to drain your energy. There is no possible way you can give in to every demand and stay sane. Involve yourself in the things that fill your soul and make you happy.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone. Every one has their own unique story so comparing yourself makes no sense.
- Ensure your mental health is always a priority. This is where saying no and filling your life with positive people becomes so important. .
- Celebrate your own unique quirks. Theses are things that make you special and completely different from everyone else (that’s a good thing).
- Don’t despair over mistakes. Everyone does them, that’s what being human is all about. Take each mistake as opportunity to grow, learn and improve.
- Reward all your accomplishments and moments of success, big or small. You deserve a pat on the back for every positive step you take.
- The only person’s opinion you should truly care about is your own. Do what makes you happy, wear what you like and live your life as you please. As long as your decisions aren’t hurting anyone then who cares what other people think.
- Treat yourself the same way you’d treat your best friend. Give yourself the breaks, advice and love the same as you’d give to the people you care most about. Why would you deserve anything less?
- Create things that make you happy. As much as you can afford to, make your home a safe, cheerful and loving place you are happy to retreat to at the end of a long or difficult day. Make home a place where loved ones feel welcome and comfortable. A nice place to live is like giving yourself a hug; it surrounds you with assurances that all is well. Make scrapbooks of special memories that can be relived when you’re feeling down. This will remind you tough times are only temporary and better days are ahead. Fill the front of your fridge, mirror or office bulletin board with positive affirmations that make you feel good about who you are and where you are going.
- Finally, it’s important to spend time alone. Be comfortable with your own company. If you don’t like spending time with yourself how can you expect anyone else to enjoy spending time with you?
Be Pretty, Plus and Proud and know you deserve to love who you are for you are beautiful, strong, talented and worthy! (Image from Instagram account queenbeefashionista4, used with permission)