Now that some nice weather has arrived at long last, what are you doing to enjoy it?
Moving your body doesn’t have to be about losing weight. Moving your body doesn’t have to be titled “exercise”. Moving your body doesn’t have to be in the same paragraph as squats, lunges, jogging, sit ups, push ups or aerobics classes. All of that stuff is good for whoever chooses to do it but moving your body can mean so much more.
No matter your size, movement is meant to be fun. It’s meant to help you feel better. Movement can connect us with friends and family by doing things together. You don’t have to wait until you lose twenty pounds to take pleasure in activities shared with those you love. Movement does not mean you need to invest in anything other than your time. No special equipment or clothing is necessary to stretch a few muscles.
Movement can include any of the following ideas:
- Work in your garden.
- Hang your laundry outside to dry in the fresh spring air.
- Walk around the block enjoying the sounds of the birds returning after a long winter and enjoying the sights of budding trees and tulips poking from the earth.
- Pull your bike out of the garage and give it a test run (It’ll get easier with a little practice).
- Buy yourself a swimsuit you feel good in and get ready for the beach (I bought two tops and two shorts style bottoms and took the plunge last summer giving up the notion that I have to be skinny to enjoy the surf and sand. No one stared and no one laughed. Everyone was there to have a good time and that’s exactly what I did.).
- If swimming isn’t your thing, you can still enjoy the beach; build a sand castle, scour the beach for shells, dip your toes and walk the edge of the water.
- Take your kids to the park. Push them on the swings, dig in the sand, kick a ball around. Teach your kids the old games of hopscotch, Red Rover, Red Light/ Green Light, skipping.
- Find a nature trail to enjoy and bring your camera along to capture spring in photographs.
- Fly a kite.
Movement of any kind is good for your heart, mind and soul and doesn’t have to mean you’re on a diet. Shake off your fears of what you think other people will think or say. Do what is good for you, what you choose to do and everything else is nobody’s business.
So with this beautiful weather, how will you Be Pretty, Plus and Proud and move your curves?